Exterior of getting in the exact division and geographic region, there aren’t as well many matters that the Minnesota Vikings and Inexperienced Bay Packers share in frequent. Just one facet of the rivalry –– you can almost certainly guess which one particular –– is known for its -4 Tremendous Bowl document and a history of playoff heartbreak. The other facet has four Tremendous Bowl titles and is on a practically 30-yr operate of balance supplied by two Corridor of Fame quarterbacks.
But current heritage exhibits they do have one point in popular: they’re really poor at profitable NFC championship games. With the Packers slipping to the Buccaneers in a thrilling, spectacular contest on Sunday, they’ve now been in 4 of the previous 7 NFC title online games –– and missing them all. Environmentally friendly Bay won it in 2010 on their way to Aaron Rodgers’ only Tremendous Bowl victory, but they also lost it back again in 2007.
The Vikings’ history of devastating losses in NFC championship online games needs tiny rationalization. After beginning 3- in the 1970s, they have arrive up short in each and every of their earlier 5 appearances, with all but a single of these coming in the earlier 23 several years. In whole, above that 23-calendar year span beginning in 1998, the Packers and Vikings have appeared in 10 NFC title games, dropping nine of them.
Here is a quick glance at the timeline.
(Notice: all a long time listed are the year of the normal period. So this Packers loss is listed as 2020 even while it took place in January 2021).
- 1970-97: Minnesota and Environmentally friendly Bay go 5-3 in NFC title video games, successful a person Tremendous Bowl (1996 Packers)
- 1998: 15-1 Vikings drop to Falcons in OT many thanks to Gary Anderson’s very first missed FG of the year
- 2000: Vikings drop 41- to Giants
- 2007: Packers shed in OT to Giants in Brett Favre’s past 12 months in Green Bay
- 2009: Vikings get rid of in OT to Bountygate Saints following late Favre INT, other problems
- 2010: Packers beat Bears, go on to gain SB
- 2014: Packers lose in OT to Seahawks after Brandon Bostick drops onside kick
- 2016: Packers blown out by Falcons
- 2017: Vikings blown out by Eagles one particular week after Minneapolis Wonder
- 2019: Packers blown out by 49ers
- 2020: Packers slide 31-26 to Brady, Bucs soon after electing to kick FG down 8
Thanks for reading. Make confident to bookmark this web page and examine back daily for the most recent Vikings information and investigation all offseason extensive. Also, observe me on Twitter and come to feel cost-free to ask me any questions on there.