The restoration of the medieval church of Sóly was lastly concluded immediately after two many years of investigation and renovation. The village of Sóly is positioned in the vicinity of Veszprém and its church was to start with described in 1009, in the basis charter of the bishopric of Veszprém, issued by King Saint Stephen. There is a theory that Sóly is the place where by the younger Stephen defeated Koppány in 997, 3 yrs prior to his coronation. The present church, having said that, dates from the 13th century and was devoted to St. Stephen Protomartyr. Archeological study identified the traces of an before, wooden church underneath the existing edifice. The 13th-century building is made up of a straightforward one-aisled nave and a rectangular sanctuary. The position was turned into a fortress at the time of the Ottoman occupation. From this time period, a quantity of burials have been identified inside the developing. The weakened building was last but not least restored in 1706 and was embellished various instances. By this time, the neighborhood and their church had been Calvinist. Rich painted decorative frames embellish the home windows, embellished with biblical verses. In 1724, a painted wood gallery was set up in the nave, and the church was adorned with painted coffered ceilings as properly. As these elements were acquired and mounted by the Museum of Applied Arts in Budapest in the course of the 1890s, they were now recreated in the type of copies. The initial picket balustrade in the sanctuary of the church, nonetheless, was at this event returned to the church. The western tower of the church was crafted in 1903.
Within the nave of the church, a medieval fresco of the Crucifixion was uncovered in 2018. The stylistic characteristics of this painting and the Cosmatesque border decoration around it indicate that it was painted in the 14th century. Perhaps it was part of a greater cycle – but no other paintings have been located in the church. The recently restored church was ceremoniously opened on March 20, 2022. Call the pastor to go to.
|Crucifixion fresco in the nave|
Below is a tiny video of the restored church.