With India remaining a rather conservative society, even though we love our fashion, it can be tough to try new things. Fire up a pair of leggings, and chances are your Daadi will be giving you funny looks all through your next breakfast together. But that doesn’t mean you can’t be young and adventurous, and discover the latest practical, comfortable men’s fashion trend for yourself. We connected with Valentine Aseyo to talk about this new trendy menswear.
Valentine is the founder of Matador Meggings, a company that wanted to re-engineer how men feel and fit in leggings. Tired of men being treated as the afterthought in the leggings arena, they’ve created a global community of supportive guys just like yourself, all loving their new fashion options and what they bring to the table. He wanted to ensure he wasn’t just building a leggings brand, but a community where men could learn to be confident and enjoy themselves in tighter looks. Today you’ll find ‘Bulls’ flexing their Matador Meggings across the world, and you could be the next one. With his help and pro tips, let’s dive deeper into why men love leggings.
All I Do Is Run Away from a Hard Days Work (Says My Amma)
Well, you know what they say! When you look good, you feel great. So if you’re looking for something comfortable to work from home in, a new fashionable piece to take to the street, or simply want a comfortable, supportive garment you can slip under your usual streetwear to stay warm and ready for action, there’s leggings out there to suit you too.
What should you look for in a solid pair of leggings? We’ve already mentioned buying a brand that’s specifically shaped to help a man remain dignified and supported. Valentine suggests you add these features to the list:
- Breathable fabric that ‘wicks’ sweat away: This helps you remain comfortable and cool no matter what the weather or activity.
- Convenient pockets: It’s critical we remain in touch with our offices and loved ones, and you don’t want to see your splashy new cellphone go flying out of your pocket the first time you wear them. A combination of deep, ‘bounce proof’ zippered and unzippered pockets is the smartest choice
- Thick and durable: They’ll last longer, and look better.
- Fit Features: Just being clingy isn’t enough to ensure a comfortable fit that will never let you down. Valentine added a wealth of fit features to the Matador brand, including a thick, grippy waistband and a hidden internal string you can use to adjust the fit. Look for similar in your leggings.
- Colors you love: Whether you lean bright and bold, or sleek and elegant, the right color combo is out there for you. While the heart of the Matador brand is in its construction and care, Valentine also wanted to showcase a range of tastes, from slimming black and navy to wild and fun prints. Trendsetters are always welcome in the Matador Bull community!
- Length: While you get shorter leggings, the most practical and best looking choice will always be an ankle-length. Plus, if you like the look of some traditional Indian garments like the Kurta, it’s easier to style your leggings into the look for a balanced, modern take on traditional favorites.
Action and Adventure
After all, what is a pair of tight, comfortable, and flexible pants but the latest upgrade on churidar that truly lets you live life your way? Now being embraced by active adventurers and athletes, from the gym to parkour, leggings just make sense for an active lifestyle.
No one wants to be hampered by close-fitting, inflexible, and chafing pants when they’re trying to get the best from their body, and you shouldn’t too.
From running rings around the competition to rock climbing, yoga, and base jumping, leggings are a comfortable and practical fit for any active lifestyle.
Valentine himself is, as well as an entrepreneur, a certified yoga instructor. Instead of getting sad about the lack of flexible, comfortable sporting options for this niche and others, he wanted to create a product that would challenge the standard and give men the freedom to concentrate on their workout. While he could find many leggings labeled for men, none were up to exactly what he needed – and modesty and comfort were two of the big issues.
Are Leggings Immodest?
If they’re poorly made, they can be, and maybe we’ll let Naani have her skew looks if you grab any old pair off the shelf. However, there’s no excuse for bad quality no matter what you’re doing. Instead, you want to look for a lightweight, form-fitting, and breathable pair made with only the best sturdy materials, so you can live life your way without worrying about rips and tears. Valentine uses sturdy Lycra in Matador Meggings, and it’s a great bet if you’re looking for the right combination of comfort and durability. Spandex can be practical, but unless it’s in a blend with a different fabric, tends to be thinner and sweatier.
And it goes without saying, we don’t want unisex here. We want everything to remain stylish and discreet no matter what you’re doing. Worrying about your ‘bulge’ sticking out in public is one of the most-mentioned concerns about wearing tight clothing for men.
When talking about Matador’s bulge-taming system, he often quips that all superheroes wear leggings- and they were the inspiration for Matador’s anatomy-conscious design, affectionately nicknamed the ‘no VPL’ system. With a soft cup for added discretion, and anatomy-conscious styling, Valentine created the Matador Meggings prototype to ensure no embarrassing fails could happen, instead streamlining everything downstairs into a neat, comic-book-friendly package you could wear in front of the whole family without blushing. This also benefits the man wearing them, as it helps keep you comfortable and contained, instead of vulnerable to knocking yourself in the family jewels while working out.
So, provided you’re looking at brands with a similar anatomy-conscious design, there’s nothing to worry about in the modesty department. In fact, we guarantee a well-built pair of men’s leggings will look much more elegant and suitable than slippery, loose running shorts that risk baring all if you take a tumble or make a high jump! It’s time to find active wear that moves with you, instead of fighting you at every step. That way, you can concentrate on getting better and bigger without wondering who’s looking at you oddly across the gym or track.
It’s time for an action-adventure fuelled revolution in menswear for the Indian market. So why not try out a pair of leggings for your athletic activities (or plain comfort) today?